... but I stopped. Now I'm a dad, and may blog again...

Thursday, April 05, 2012

563: Hold the front page

Things happen. Stuff. There's a world that we live in, this one here (do you see it?), and there are things happening all over it all of the time. Some of them are interesting; in fact, they are probably all interesting if looked at from an original perspective. There are the things that bloggers are supposed to talk about, which is basically anything that trends on twitter. Technically I should have offered my commentary and analysis on the NHS, the budget, #Kony2012, George Galloway and Samantha Brick. Every internet obsessive, aspiring writer, and inane hipster just has to say the same things about the same things. Rehashing the twitter top trends, any old stuff from BoingBoing and retronaut (where the stuff comes from). Cos that's what we do.

But I don't have a thing to say about everything, or anything. I wish I did, but I don't. It's not for want of trying. I used to think it was a positive to pretend to have an opinion on everything. But there's just too many things that I am utterly unqualified to have a valid opinion on. The budget, for example. I just don't get it. I don't get if the economy is fucked up because the people in charge are so shit and corrupt, or if their inherent shittiness and corruption is just being highlighted by a struggling economy they have no real control over. I don't get it.

All I've learnt this week is a lesson from the Samantha Brick thing. (If you don't know what that is read this, then this, then this.) Samantha Brick has taught me that there are occasions when it just may be ill advised to pour out ones every idiotic thought into a blog post (or email to Daily Mail editor). It's also probably a lesson that if the Daily Mail wants to offer you a regular job you just may be a self-satisfied prick of magnificent proportions. So far I haven't heard a peep from the Daily Mail headhunters so I must be ok so far. If they ever do come knocking I'll know I really am the total prick I always feared I might be.

But anyway, when stuff happens in the world, don't come looking to me to tell you about it. I would love to be able to write knowledgeably on current affairs but I don't think I've got it in me. I'm just not clever enough, quick enough, or beautiful enough.

No comments: