... but I stopped. Now I'm a dad, and may blog again...

Monday, January 23, 2012

505: BUY, ART, BUY

I wish I had the money to collect art; it's long been an ambition of mine. Occasionally I manage to get the odd piece here and there: I have a print by Gareth Hacking (a.k.a Cardboard Kid), given to me as a gift, for which I owe him a piece in return. The print by Gareth is of a skeleton in silhouette; its skull inverted and swapped positions with its pelvis. I also have a unique and original Cardboard Kid stored in a shoe box alongside myriad postcards and business cards. I have many artists' post/business cards which could be considered limited edition print runs. In my "collection" there are drawings by my niece and the children of other friends and relatives, art books, old prints (some original, others reproductions), etcetera, etc, &c.

The above paragraph was just preamble to this:

Want to own a piece of "art", in the form of a lovely postcard featuring my signature "Octus" octopus drawing? Well now you can by clicking the link on the right of the page; what lucky boys and girls you are! In our house there are octopuses everywhere, most notably the one tattooed on my arm, but also the prints and paintings on the walls, and the cuddly toys all over the shop. I get at least one octopus thing every Christmas. The original drawing (as reproduced on the postcard and my twitter profile) is in a sketchbook I bound myself using found paper; damn I'm such a fucking hipster.

I've already sold one!  Huzzah!  Thanks to Michael Thorp, the Manchester based illustrator and designer; yes, that's him, the fellow who made the banner for this blog.  He's a good lad that Michael Thorp.  Go and have a look at his website now.


In final art buying news:
Get down to BLANKSPACE this Saturday and buy a bit of art.  It's to raise money for independent artists, what with the government not bothering with it anymore.  I'll be there, and it's the day after pay day.

Saturday 28 January 2012, 3pm - 10pm
BLANKSPACE, 43 Hulme Street, Manchester, M15 6AW
We’re opening the doors to BLANKSPACE this New-Year for Blank Media Collective’s January Sale!
The January Sale is your chance to walk away with an original work of art and support further artistic development in Manchester and the UK. Each artwork has been kindly donated by artists and practitioners from Manchester, the North West and across the UK. All funds will go towards supporting Blank Media Collective’s 2012 exhibitions programme.
Come down to BLANKSPACE on Saturday 28 January to peruse the collection of original artwork available for auction or purchase artist books, prints and postcards from our January Sale Shop.
With live music from the Manchester’s very own foot-stomping lyrical genius Black Jack Barnett throughout the evening, this is a great chance to kick back, relax and buy some contemporary art.
Our live auction will take place at BLANKSPACE onSaturday 28 January from 7pm and is open to all. Visitors can bid for original contemporary artwork whilst investing in the future of arts in Manchester.
If you are unable to attend the live auction, silent bids can be made from 3pm the same day.
The January Sale is the place to go for original artwork ranging from paintings, sculpture, prints, books, photography, illustration from both established and emerging practitioners from Manchester and beyond. Start or continue your growing collection of contemporary artworks with Blank Media Collective.

No comments: