... but I stopped. Now I'm a dad, and may blog again...

Monday, May 07, 2012

587: Writing, writing, ballroom dance. Writing, writing, repetition.


On Friday I wrote a blog post that entirely satisfied me. It was late, my partner was asleep beside me on the sofa despite the loudly blasting Tom Waits ('Underground': I'm alive, I'm awake, while the rest of the world is asleep), there was a glass of whiskey somewhere nearby and nobody had claimed it so I drank it. It was some thing about cheese, that old cliche, lazy subject, for lazy lazy people trying to be funny... cheese an obvious comedy word. Despite that I laughed. And two people on facebook happened to enjoy it.

Success! I've finally made it! Anyway, the point I'm trying to get to is that after writing a blog that I felt was pretty good, I didn't want to write another post. I had nothing in particular to say, so writing this nothing in particular would just knock the good cheese-post off the top of the blog. What a waste. Now anyone coming alone will read this instead of the important cheese stuff. Instead of looking for something to write about, and trying to better myself, I just did normal bank holiday stuff. Writing is hard.

Simon Cowell is on the telly telling the young ballroom dancer kids that they are winners because they put the work in. David Walliams is rephrasing whatever Simon says in order to agree with him exactly. Fantastic comments all around. The hard work, the practise, working every single day for hours and hours and hours. Training all the time, every day. From morning eye-open to evening shut-eye. It's wiggling, prancing and toe-tapping from start to finish. Living and breathing ballroom. Dancing here, there and everywhere.

Ballroom dancing in a house. Ballroom dancing with a mouse. Ballroom dancing in a box. Ballroom dancing with a fox. Ballroom dancing you will see, ballroom dancing in a tree. A train! A train! A train! A train! Ballroom dancing, ballroom dancing on a train. Say! In the dark? Here in the dark! Ballroom dancing in the dark! Ballroom dancing with a goat. Ballroom dancing on a boat. Ballroom dancing here and there. Ballroom dancing ANYWHERE!

Lessons to be learnt from the ballroom kids and the persistent Suess Sam-I-Am pressurising his mouldy food onto an unwilling victim. Daily practise. Repetition. Daily practise. Every hour, every minute. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing.

"Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing." Does that count?

No comments: