... but I stopped. Now I'm a dad, and may blog again...

Sunday, October 27, 2013

How do I write a blog on a nice wee mini-break weekend holiday-type thing? When I originally abandoned this blog as a daily thing was the short break we had in Donegal after our wedding, as mini honeymoon. Now I am in North Wales at Ruthin Castle and we have spent the last couple of hours drinking whiskey (whisky?) in a wood-paneled library heated by an open fire.

The wood-paneled library heated by open fire, eh? Not all it pretends to be. The books were mostly pretend-old. Fake leather-bound Readers Digest Condensed Books, and a random selection of PVC-bound classics (Moby Dick, Vanity Fair, Jane Ayre). The only genuinely old book I saw was a rotten moldy copy of the British Medical Journal from the fifties. The first article we saw upon skimming was about how to judge a baby contest... wtf.

And the bar. A bar in a posh hotel in a medieval castle in North Wales. A tedious generic selection of lagers on tap. One local ale which was off. And apparently there is a Welsh whiskey but they have sold out of it. And the fire was gas....

It was nice and I had fun.... but it was pretend nice and pretend fun. And come on, fucking hell, no local drinks. That is too shit to articulate. Ruthin Castle, sort your fucking bar selection out will you... Now we're off for our dinner and the menu is amazing. I'm dribbling as I write this. I've had a few drinks now, so it's getting harder to notice the bad stuff and the good stuff is getting better and better...

.....

Back from the meal. Drunk. Food: nice. Drink : nice too.
Night. Bye.

No comments: